Thursday, January 3, 2013

SAUTEED SHRIMPS AND SCALLOPS WITH SAKE GELEE, TAMARI PEARLS AND LEMON FOAM

 A few weeks ago, I saw a television segment where the restaurant served a sake gelee with Alaskan king crab legs.  Immediately, the sake gelee got my attention.  I've made gelees before but never one with sake.  As I started to think what else would go well with this, I figured Tamari "pearls".  And, as a final topping, some lemon foam.  Since I have the Molecule R kit, it was very easy to put all three parts of this dish together.
Although I had a pound of Alaskan king crab legs in my freezer, I opted to make this creation with some beautiful Mediterranean shrimps and bay scallops that I got from my fish monger.  Instead of making individual servings, I combined everything on one platter. 

Sake Gelee:
2 grams Agar-agar
3/4 cup sake
In a pan, mix the agar-agar and sake and bring to a boil.
Pour sake mixture on a plate and swirl it to create a sheet.
Let cool, then refrigerate. When ready to use, cut into pieces.

Tamari Pearls:
1 cup canola oil
2 grams Agar-agar
1/2 cup Tamari (or soy sauce)
Put oil in freezer for one hour.
In a pan mix, the Tamari and Agar-Agar.  Bring to a boil.
Pour tamari/agar-agar mixture into a bowl; fill a pipette or a cooking syringe with mixture and then dribble mixture into the cold oil.  Pearls will form. Then, using a pierced spoon, collect the pearls from the oil and put them in a bowl of water to rinse.  Set aside.

Lemon Foam:
This should be made right before serving since the foam "melts" quickly
1 sachet (2 grams) soy lecithin
2/3 cup water
2/3 cup lemon juice
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix with a hand-held blender until stiff foam is formed.  Spoon on dish immediately.

Shrimps and Scallops Cooking
Shrimps and Scallops:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup garlic, minced
1 pound shrimps (U12-15)
3/4 pound dry bay scallops, cut in half at the equator
1 Tablespoon tarragon, for garnish
Heat oil and butter in pan.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant.  Add shrimps and scallops and cook for about 2 minutes on one side; turn and continue to cook for another minute until completely done.

To plate: 
Place sake gelee on a plate; add cooked shrimps and scallops.  Sprinkle with Tamari pearls.  Top with Lemon foam and garnish with tarragon.

Finished Dish





No comments: